I’m a U.S. Citizen, But I Live Outside the U.S. Abroad or Plan to Move Outside the U.S. Will I Be Able to Collect SSD Benefits?

1 mins reading time

moving boxes

Usually, if you have been approved for SSDI benefits, you will be able to receive them if you are a U.S. citizen living outside of the country. However, there are a few exceptions:

  • Social Security will not send benefit payments to Cuba or North Korea. However, if you are living in one of those countries and then move to another country or back to the U.S., you will get all the payments that you missed.
  • There are some other countries, including countries that were formerly Soviet Union republics, where Social Security will not send payments. However, for these countries, there are some exceptions for people who are eligible where Social Security will send checks on a special payment plan.

Terry Katz, Esq.

Terry Katz, Esq., the founding Member of the firm, handles all aspects of Workers’ Compensation and Social Security Disability cases.

From our clients

Very Thorough

Quick to respond and goes the extra mile.
Read Full Review

Andrew C. ★★★★☆

Most Rewarding

"Thanks again for all of your hard work and time."
Read Full Review

Karen S. ★★★★☆

Truly Special Law Firm

"Thank you so much for the help in my case."
Read Full Review

Melvin G. ★★★★☆