What Should I Do If I Get Hurt On The Job?

1 mins reading time

The first thing that an injured worker should do is report the injury to a supervisor, either verbally, or in writing, within 30 days of the accident. Failure to notify your employer timely may result in a denial of the claim.

Next, the injured worker should seek medical treatment with a doctor of their choice. Medical reports are critical in determining diagnosis, disability, and whether the injuries are a result of the accident or occupational injury. Then, a claim must be filed with the Workers Comp Board.

Although an injured worker is not required to obtain an attorney to handle their claim, it is advisable that injured workers consult a compensation attorney any time a serious injury occurs while at work. The process of a Workers’ Comp case can be long and complicated, and an injured worker who is not represented by a compensation attorney can be at a great disadvantage. The hearings and trials during a case are held at the Workers Comp Board before a Workers’ Compensation Law Judge and against skilled representatives and attorneys for the insurance companies, who are working to protect their interests. An injured worker who chooses to navigate the process alone without an attorney risks forfeiting some of their rights and benefits.

For A Comprehensive Guide For New Yorkers Hurt On The Job: Read More

Terry Katz, Esq.

Terry Katz, Esq., the founding Member of the firm, handles all aspects of Workers’ Compensation and Social Security Disability cases.

From our clients

There To Help Me

Thank you [...] the lawyers that helped me during the worker’s compensation hearing were excellent.
Read Full Review

Jessica S. ★★★★☆

Very Thorough

Quick to respond and goes the extra mile.
Read Full Review

Andrew C. ★★★★☆

Most Rewarding

"Thanks again for all of your hard work and time."
Read Full Review

Karen S. ★★★★☆