SSDI Denial – Common Reasons For Denied Disability Claims
When you file a Social Security Disability application in New York, it usually gets evaluated in two places. First, a local Social Security Administration field office will evaluate the non-medical parts of your application. Then, the New York State Division of Disability Determinations will evaluate your medical evidence to see if your condition meets Social Security’s definition of a “severe” disability. Your claim may be denied at either of these stages. These are the most common reasons social security disability denied the first time:
- The most common reason for denying an application for SSDI benefits is because of your medical evaluation. Social Security will deny your application if it finds any of these —
- Your medical condition is not expected to last for at least 12 months or to result in death.
- Your disability is not severe enough to keep you from doing your usual job or doing another job that you are qualified to do, given your age, experience, and education.
- You have not provided enough medical evidence for Social Security to evaluate your application.
- Social Security also denies many applications because of non-medical reasons including any of these common reasons —
- You are earning money from work, and that working income is over the allowed limit.
- You are not “insured” by Social Security because you do not have the required recent work history in a job covered by Social Security, or that experience has not been for a long enough period of time.
- You haven’t submitted all the required information.
- You made a mistake on your application.
As many as 75 percent of initial SSDI applications are denied! An experienced Social Security Disability attorney can help you put together your information and evidence and file your application.
If your initial SSDI application is denied, you have the right to appeal. If you win your appeal, the original denial will be overturned, and you will start receiving benefits. Filing an appeal is often a good option if your claim has been denied. We would be glad to talk to you and evaluate your case.