FAQWill my children receive benefits if I am found disabled?

Minor children under the age of 18 may receive up to 50% of your benefit amount. Generally, the child or children must be living with you or dependent on you in order to receive benefits. The benefit amount, unfortunately, does not change depending on how many children you have.

What happens if I return to work?

The Social Security Administration has many different rules regarding work performed during a period of disability. Generally, if you return to work after you became disabled, you can make any amount of money for up to 9 months. After 9 months of work, your income must be below certain threshold levels, or else your benefits may be reduced or eliminated. The rules on work can often be very complex and unique to each person's situation, so we suggest that you call and speak to the experienced Social Security Disability attorneys at Terry Katz & Associates, P.C.

What do I have to prove in order to get Social Security disability benefits?

The Social Security Administration has an extremely high standard for disability. Even if you are receiving disability benefits from another program, you might not meet Social Security's definition of disability. You must prove that you are unable or will be unable to perform your old jobs as well as any other lighter, simpler jobs that exist in the country, regardless of economic factors or whether or no. The rules for people over 50 are a little different. Contact the experienced Social Security Disability attorneys at Terry Katz & Associates for a free initial consultation.

Will I be entitled to health insurance if I win my case?

If you win your case, you will be either entitled to either Medicare or Medicaid depending on what type of disability benefits you are receiving. If you receive SSD benefits, you will be entitled to Medicare 24 months after you are first entitled to monetary benefits. If you receive Supplemental Security Income, you will be entitled to Medicaid immediately. The issue of medical coverage can be confusing, so please feel free to contact the experienced Social Security Disability attorneys at Terry Katz & Associates for a free initial consultation.

What fees will I be responsible for? How much money will this cost me?

While our fees are contingency-based and payable only if you win your case, you are responsible for the costs of your medical records. When we request medical records from your doctor, they are generally allowed to charge a set fee per page depending on your state's laws. We will also ask your doctor to fill out a questionnaire and/or draft a narrative report about your ability to work. Many doctors charge a fee for this, and you will usually be responsible for any such charges. Most doctors are willing to work out a payment plan or even waive the fee entirely. When the time comes, you should discuss this with your doctor. In certain situations, we will pay the up-front costs of your reports and records if you agree to repay us in full if your claim is approved. These decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

What is the difference between Disability Insurance Benefits and Supplemental Security Income?

Both programs have the same medical requirements, however, there are several important differences between the two. Disability Insurance Benefits (DIB, or SSD) are available to people who meet the medical requirements and have worked on the books and paid taxes for 5 of the last 10 years before they became disabled. The amount of money that they receive each month varies depending on how long they have worked and how much money they have made. The rules are different for those people under the age of 31. If you are under 31, please contact us for a more complete explanation.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is available to those who have not worked in a long time, or who have never worked. The amount of money you receive each month is fixed by the federal and state governments, and each recipient receives the same base amount. This amount can be reduced depending on how many assets you have. Generally speaking, SSI is only available to those who have limited assets or no assets at all. The Social Security Administration uses a complicated formula to determine if you are eligible. For more information, please contact the experienced disability attorneys at Terry Katz & Associates for a free consultation.

Does the Social Security Administration administer any other disability benefit programs?

In addition to SSD and SSI, the Social Security Administration also administers several other disability programs. These programs are meant for widows and widowers age 50-60 who become disabled, and for some adults who became disabled between the ages of 18-22 and are dependent on a disabled or deceased individual. There are numerous legal requirements for these programs, so to see if you may qualify, please contact the experienced disability attorneys at Terry Katz & Associates for a free consultation.

When should I apply for benefits?

You should apply as soon as you think you will be unable to work for at least 12 full months, or if your doctors expect your condition to end in death. Social Security benefits are paid based on the date you file your application, so the sooner you apply the more money you will entitled to if you are found disabled. Please remember that in order to be found disabled, you usually have to show that you are unable to do any job for at least 12 full months.